Working as a nanny
When you decide to apply for this job position, you should go through this guide first to better understand the requirements of both our clients and our company (such as qualifications, duties and attributes) as well as to be more familiar with what you can expect from your future employer. The description of different types of nanny positions are stated here so you can check which nanny position suits you best. Finally, you can find the detailed explanation of the application procedure.
As it is already world-wide known, nanny’s job is to look after one or more children of a single family, preferably for a period of a few years. Concerning your qualifications, it is usually required to have a degree or training in a child development field, for example: Early Years, Child Psychology or Montessori course as well as First Aid certificate and DBS check. Our nanny agency wants to provide the best candidates to its clients so we will do all the necessary checks and ask from you to send a proof of all the previously stated qualifications/recommendations/certificates and diplomas obtained.
Our general standards of choosing a nanny are the following:
- English language skill (You should be a native English-speaking nanny or be fully fluent English speaker)
- Education and work experience (You should have respected UK qualifications supported by years of experience in the field)
- Reliability (You should be a hardworking, dedicated nanny with the great love for your work and a high sense of responsibility for the families you work for since we guarantee a top professional service to our clients)
- Caring and outgoing personality (You should be pleasant with a genuine interest in children and their wellbeing)
What should you expect from your employer?
As for our clients, many nanny agencies cannot provide you with what our British nanny agency can. London Governess clients are VIP and high net worth families in global locations which means that you will get a lot of benefits in return for your hard work and dedication.
- On-time competitive salary
- Accommodation and food (for a live-in position)
- Respecting agreed working hours
- A chance to travel around the world
- Visa arrangement (if needed)
- For weekend work, you will generally be paid extra
- Four weeks paid vacation each year
What will parents expect from you?
Firstly, professionalism and commitment are the most important values expected from our candidates. Concerning job duties, a nanny should most often do the following tasks:
- Getting the child up and dressed
- Supervising child’s meals
- Washing and ironing child’s laundry
- Keeping children active and entertained
- Arranging play dates
- Taking the children to the park or zoo
- Creating arts and crafts projects
- Reading to the children
- Accompanying children to music or dance lessons
- Taking the children to doctor’s or dentist’s appointments
- Tidying play area at end of the day
- Keeping toys clean and organised
- Helping child undress
- Bathing the child and making ready for bed
Should you want to teach the child a sport, another language or play an instrument, help with house chores, prepare meals, just specify that in your C. V. and you will get one big plus by London Governess.
Types of nannies
Our nanny agency offers nanny positions around the globe, so you can choose to be a nanny in London, or in other parts of the UK; also, we have positions for international nannies and overseas nannies. The terms & conditions are more than satisfying.
For your convenience, the list of nanny types we offer to our clients can be found below. After choosing the right type, you will be completely informed and ready for applying:
- A live-in nanny is responsible for the complete care of family’s children. Getting the children up, feeding them, keeping them amused and active, taking them to the park or doctor’s appointment, cleaning their room and play area, washing and ironing their clothes, are just some of many tasks that a live-in nanny would be required to do. A nanny of this type usually has a separate apartment, sometimes referred to as a “nanny flat” in the house of the family she provides service for, or at least a room with a separate bathroom.
- A live-out nanny is also a person who provides childcare in your private home but this time for a set hours of the day. During her working hours, a live-out nanny will assume all the responsibilities and duties as a live-in nanny would. The family does not need to provide accommodation for her for the period of the collaboration.
- A night nanny is there to help parents out with their newborn baby. As her name suggests, this nanny is usually required to work during the night and help establish good sleeping patterns both for the child and the new parents. In contrast to a maternity nurse who is a live-in nanny, a night nanny is usually a live-out nanny working night shifts.
- A temporary nanny will assist a family for a few days, weeks or months. If parents need to attend an important event, or their permanent nanny is taking a vacation, whatever the reason be, our temporary nannies will be there to provide the best childcare for the time they require.
- A holiday nanny is a person who goes with parents intending to have a relaxed vacation with some time just for themselves. Apart from being a helping hand to and from the destination, this nanny should also plan educational and cultural activities for their children, and, all in all, make their stay in a new environment enjoyable.
- A bilingual/multilingual/international nanny is a nanny who teaches children to speak or master a new language or languages. This kind of service is more than welcome if parents have just moved, or plan to move, to a new country so the children can adapt easily. It is not just the language that the nanny will instruct the children in, but also the customs, history and traditions of a specific country. We send our nannies almost everywhere in the world!
How to apply for a nanny job position?
We would like to guide you through every phase of the process in order to know what should be expected from all of us during this period:
- The first phase is to fill in the form on our web site – our HR will reply to you and request to send relevant documents (C. V., cover letter, DBS check, First Aid Certificate, education diplomas and certificates, references) as well as to arrange an interview. Please, do not omit any details because those seemingly little things can make all the difference, and make you one step closer to finding a perfect employer. You can apply either if you have seen an interesting job position or you want to be in our system for some future vacancies.
- After that, we send your C. V. to our clients and if successful we will arrange an interview with a possible employer.
- We often recommend a trial, because it is very important to see a family before you make your decision. A trial could be a day or two or a week as long as an employer and you believe it is necessary. Trials are fully paid.
- The last stage is when the client and you make your final decision. Both of you should take your time to consider all the aspects.
We are a British nanny agency which you can trust!