At London Governess, we understand how important it is to find the perfect person to help care for a newborn baby. That is why we have an extensive database of candidates and a strict vetting procedure to ensure our clients’ little ones are always in the very best of hands. As a maternity nurse, you will have a lot of duties, though it will certainly pay off.
Our maternity nurse candidates are on hand right after the birth to ensure that child-rearing is as rewarding as possible, without exhaustion or stress. You will be required to help with all general newborn baby care, supervising and tidying the baby’s room, doing the baby’s laundry, setting daytime and night-time routines, and preparing bottles. You should fully support the mother too, offering postnatal care along with breastfeeding advice and support, and be a professional ally. If the mother has more than one baby, you will help to settle them into a natural, easy routine so that the mother can spend plenty of one-on-one time with each child.
Whatever our client’s schedule, your maternity nursing can help. Typically, maternity nurses referenced by our company work 10-12 hours per day or 24/7, 5 or 6 days per week. Working hours are flexible, ensuring the mother can have a full night’s uninterrupted sleep. It is not just nights that are made easy, either – as a self-employed maternity nurse, you will handle your tax and national insurance yourself, and let the family focus on their newborn.
Our maternity nurses are all highly trained nannies who have extensive experience with newborn babies. We only place the very best, and insist that every maternity nurse has valid references and a warm, loving, and respectful personality. With London Governess, our clients’ children will receive only the most experienced maternity nurses. If this sounds like you, we would be glad to have you on our register. We used to meet all prospective candidates in person, these days we interview by video call (Zoom, Whatsapp, etc.) because we like to see everyone, and not just rely on information by email. We thoroughly check all professionals to verify their working history, check references, and complete full DBS checks. You can check below what we expect from you:
- To be educated and a fully fluent English speaker
- To have respected qualifications and excellent references
- To be ready for a completely bespoke service
Our clients’ babies must be in safe and experienced hands.
Working as a Maternity Nurse
Having a baby is an exciting and wonderful experience but it can also be very tiring since the baby will likely wake up several times a night. As a short-term private maternity nurse, you will stay at a client’s home and provide calm, caring, and efficient services to assist the family with all of the baby’s needs. This kind of maternity nurse is able to answer any questions the mother may have about caring for her newborn, give the mother time to recuperate and get some well deserved rest, provide expert advice on breastfeeding, and help establish a sleeping schedule for the baby. All maternity nurses have vast experience in childcare, and can help with day-to-day tasks including preparing the nursery, bottle sterilisation, diapering and bathing the baby, and washing the baby’s clothes. Typically, a short-term private maternity nurse will stay at client’s home 24-hours per day for 5-6 days a week and up to 12 weeks. However, each case can be tailored to a client’s specific needs and requirements.
Duties & Fees
We inform our clients that by hiring a maternity nurse, they will gain many advantages. By having someone to help them, the clients will get the following benefits:
- Easier establishing of feeding routine, including breastfeeding
- All bottles will be sterilised
- Maternity nurses will ensure the baby is safe at all times
- The nurse will teach the mother about necessary hygiene practices
- Having a maternity nurse to hand will allow a mother to overcome some of motherhood’s challenges such as night-time feeding and bonding.
All of our maternity nurses are self-employed and carefully selected for representation by our agency.
Maternity nurses cost from £200+ per 24 hours.
When a client chooses to hire a maternity nurse from London Governess, they want to be sure that their newborn is receiving the best care available, and expect to receive around-the-clock assistance, 5-6 days a week. Some maternity nurses work on a 24-hour basis, during which time they will be given 2-3 hours off, and will be ‘on call’ during sleeping hours should a client need help at night. Alternatively, our clients can choose to hire a maternity nurse who will work for eight-hour shifts on a live-out basis.
How to apply for a London Governess job position?
We would like to guide you through every stage of the process so that you know what will be expected from each party during this period:
- The first stage is to fill in the form on our website – our HR department will reply to you and request you to send relevant documents (CV, cover letter, DBS check, first aid certificate, education diplomas and certificates, and references) as well as to arrange an interview with you. Please do not omit any details because those seemingly little things can make all the difference, and bring you one step closer to finding the perfect employer. You can apply whether you have seen an interesting job position or wish to be included in our database and considered for all relevant future vacancies.
- After this, we send your CV to our clients and if successful, we will arrange an interview with a prospective employer.
- We often recommend a trial, because it is very important to meet a family before you make your decision. A trial could be one day or one week – just long enough for you and your prospective employer to get to know each other. Trials are fully paid.
- The last stage is when the client and you make your final decisions. Both of you should take your time to consider all of the elements, components and fundamentals of the role in question, as these will directly affect the quality of your future collaboration.
If you feel you can not only work but thrive in this kind of environment, do not hesitate to contact us!